Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Fulfillment & Motivation

This is one of the very last sessions I will have with Holden. Today, I would like to know a little bit more about what motivates and makes him happy. When I asked him, he said right before he was admitted into the institution, watching Phoebe ride a carousel was what made him truly happy. He said the way she spun around and around coming back each time. It seems Holden realized at this moment, the carousel was like life. Life is a cycle. No matter how many times you fall, you can get back up and keep trying at it again. I also asked him if he could be anything he wanted, what would it be? Holden responded, "...I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids... And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff..." It seems like Holden wants to help the children from growing up and falling into the world of phoniness. He himself doesn't want to grow up and tries to keep the innocence of other children as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment