Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Inside Holden's Thoughts

After conducting my first session with Holden, I beleive I had a decent indication of what his  personality was like. Our second meeting today reinforced my thoughts on him. Throughout the time spent with Mr. Caulfield, he was very relaxed and carefree. He answered questions with ease but took on a rather sarcastic tone. When asked about his time at his previous school, Pencey Prep, he simply laughed and stated that it wasn't the school for him. However, by observing his records, the obvious answer was that Holden had been kicked out. The next subject we moved onto was regarding any relationships he with friends or acquantances. Holden simply said,"There's a word I really hate. It's a phony. I could puke every time I hear it." His tone changed to a very stern and angry tone. It was evident that he didn't get along with most people and had trouble connecting with them. However, when I asked if he was involved in a relationship, he said no but went on talking about a girl named Jane. Straight away his tone switched into a  happy one and he became more interactive in the conversation.  Through his statements, I felt Jane was one of the very few people Holden had a connection with. It was obvious he had strong feelings for her but he states that he can't see himself getting sexy with a girl he's genuinely close to. I sense Holden would be happy with her despite his critical outlook on most people. However, in his eyes, becoming sexual with one you really care for is a way of treating them "crumby" or bad. From this second session I have obtained a new idea on Holden. Despite his "rough around the edges" personality, he is shown to be compassionate and kind to others.





No comments:

Post a Comment